Body butters are the perfect do-it-yourself project. They are incredible easy to make, and practically error-proof. I am actually not crafty at ALL and even I can make this :o) So if you are looking for a last minute Christmas gift, or just want to make a super moisturizing body or hand butter – look no further!
I chose the ingredients below because they are great for very dry and/or irritated skin. The nice thing about body butters though is you can switch out oils or butters for your personal favorites. Shea butter has a somewhat nutty smell, so you can switch out some shea butter for cocoa or mango butter if you prefer. I would recommend keeping some shea butter in it though, as shea butter is super moisturizing for skin.
For a body butter, you want to keep the ingredients around a 75%/25% butter to oil ratio. If you want it to be more liquidy (more like a lotion), then you can increase the ratio of oil. Just be sure to not add any water, or you’ll need to add preservatives and emulsifiers and that adds a whole ‘nother level of complexity! (As a side note, if you are interested in that sort of thing, I highly recommend the Swift Crafty Monkey blog)
The Vitamin E was added to increase the skin-healing effect of this body butter (I wanted this to be good for irritated, chapped skin), and to increase the shelf life of the body butter. Vitamin E isn’t a preservative per se, but it does help prolong oil’s and butter’s shelf life since it’s a great antioxidant.
This body butter is pretty greasy at first but sinks in nicely. I love using it on my hands, elbows or any dry areas. You could even use this on your face if your skin is very dry. And of course, it is all natural and even organic!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients (what I used)
32 fl oz Skin Ritual Organic Shea Butter
4 fl oz NOW Foods Evening Primrose Oil
4 fl oz Desert Essence Jojoba Oil
1/4 fl oz Nature’s Plus Vitamin E Oil
Optional: your favorite essential oil for fragrance (if you have sensitive skin or plan on using on your face, do without)
1 large glass bowl
1 large pot for boiling water (or, if you have a double boiler you can use this)
1 hand mixer
jars or tubs (I used 4 of these)
1. In the glass bowl, combine the shea butter, evening primrose oil and jojoba oil.
2. Bring the pot of water to a low bowl and place the glass bowl over the boiling water (or use a double boiler).
3. Once everything is melted, set it aside and let it cool for about 15 minutes or so. After cooling, add the vitamin E oil and any fragrance.
4. Stir well and place in the refrigerator to cool down to harden.
5. After about an hour and a half, the oil should be hardened but still somewhat soft. Take your hand blender and whip until as fluffy as desired. The longer you whip it, the fluffier it will be.
6. Transfer to jars or tubs.
And that’s it! Super easy :o)
Have you ever made a body butter before? What’s your favorite recipe?
Disclosure: Some of these products were provided to me to try. Opinions and the choice to review are 100% my own! I’m not compensated for anything I write. This post contains affiliate links.